We hope you enjoy a true treat from our own Sergio, who shared a community favorite…baklava!
Rich, sweet and crunchy.
- 1 C unsalted butter
- ½ (16 oz) package phyllo dough
- 2 C pecans, crushed
- 1 ½ C water
- ½ C sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 C honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt butter over low heat. Pour two tablespoons of the butter into the bottom of a 9”x13” baking pan. Layer three sheets of the phyllo dough in the pan. Trim, if needed, to fit. Sprinkle two tablespoons of pecans over the dough. Layer three more sheets of dough, brush generously with the melted butter, and spread 2 tablespoons of pecans. Continue same process until pan is ¾ full.
- With a sharp knife, score the phyllo dough to form squares.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the honey and simmer two minutes longer. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon stick. Pour honey mixture over hot baklava. Let cool and enjoy.