We hope you had a special St. Patrick’s Day. You might like to try this delicious recipe for corned beef and cabbage.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds) with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 pounds small potatoes (10-15), peeled
- 8 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking juices from corned beef
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
Mustard Sauce (optional):
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar, and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered, just until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. (If pot is full, remove potatoes and carrots before adding cabbage; reheat before serving.)
- Add cabbage to pot and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and corned beef; keep warm.
- For Horseradish Sauce, strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Discard remaining juices. To prepare sauces, reference directions below.
- Cut beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables, horseradish sauce and, if desired, Mustard Sauce.
Horseradish Sauce Instructions:
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, then stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup reserved juices. Stir in sugar, vinegar, and horseradish and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. If desired, thin with additional juices. Season to taste with additional sugar, vinegar, or horseradish.